Hey! I am writing to you from the east side of the island; Egílsstadir. We are here for about a week. It is a small town with a lot of open space, which is refreshing after being in Reykjavík for a month. We left at 8:00 in the morning. This was the first morning that I really noticed the lack of sunlight, as we normally have class in the morning.
We made a few stops along the way. Which was a good thing since it took about 12 hours to cross the island via the south. We stopped at two different waterfalls. The name to the first one escapes me, but it sounds like you are saying "sell your land". The second is a fairly well known waterfall, named Skógafoss (the pic on the left)
To the left I took a picture from the top of the waterfall. It is over three hundred stair steps to the top. I was quiet out of breath from walking to the top, but the view was worth it. We could see the Atlantic Ocean the entire drive, and you can just make it out in the distance.
Here we have Glacier Lagoon. There is just a lot of ice in a body of water, that have broken off of one of Iceland's glaciers. It was quiet beautiful. I loved the blue ice in the back of the picture.
Once we reached the West Fjords, the driving was anything but direct. It was about 4:30 in the afternoon, and sunlight was fading fast. There were only a few small towns after we passed through the city of Hofn. If you look at a map of the east, you can see that the road flows with the land.
Loving Iceland!!
Wow! Snow! So it's still dark at 8 am and it starts getting dark at about 4:30 pm? I guess we have nothing to complain about when its getting dark at 5:30 here. It looks beautiful there. What an amazing God we have! He has created such a vast and interesting world for us.
ReplyDelete