Restenäs SBS 2014/2015

Restenäs SBS 2014/2015

Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Worship - Week 3 Summary

This week was about worship. What does it mean to a worshiper? I see worship as something personal, something that you can’t break down a few elements in a simple formula. There is no way we can come into God’s presence by following a three step plan. The personal nature of our relationship with God, means that our worship of him must be personal as well. We don’t all feel the same way after reading the Bible, or singing praise songs. But that doesn’t mean we can stop reading the Bible, or singing because we don’t think it works for us. 
Being extravagant is akin to being reckless, to do something without any fear. To be an extravagant worshiper, you need to let go of your fears about worship. The fear of looking foolish, or doing something wrong. By letting go of that fear, you can freely worship God in whatever way you feel led to do so. Worship is about coming to the presence of God, and that is an immensely personal thing. Worship is not just limited to songs, prayer or Bible reading. We can worship God in our everyday lives, so long as it comes from the heart. If we put the focus of our heart on God, then all that we do will be in worship towards Him. So, what kind of worshiper am I? I don’t think anyone can be a “kind” of worshiper, or a “type” of worshiper. Due to the personal nature of worship, you can’t tie up what kind of worshiper you are with a pretty bow. Worship is dynamic, always changing, you can’t pin down what “works”. I love to participate in music, especially playing the drums, but sometimes it may feel like an obligation rather than a way to come into the presence of God. This is also where we can come back to one’s heart. If we turn our heart to God, than all we do is worship. Part of it is also experimenting with different styles of worship; Song, dance, prayer. I am still trying to figure out what works for me now. I am really trying to open myself up to different experiences of worship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment