Restenäs SBS 2014/2015

Restenäs SBS 2014/2015

Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

Discipleship - Week 2 Summary

Last week, we took a look at Discipleship. Here are the questions posed to us by the week's speaker, who visited us from Norway.

Question 1: How would you describe being a disciple?
A disciple is someone who learns from someone else, but not in the traditional sense. A disciple is someone who walks along side their teacher, aspiring to be exactly like them. At the same time, a disciple needs to be able to teach others about their teacher, and potential lead them to the teacher to become a disciple themselves.

Question 2: Mention three typical excuses for not trusting or following Christ and find answers in the bible that address this issue.

Not Now
Some people claim that they aren't ready for the gospel. They need to get their life in order, or figure something out first. Jesus illustrates the error of this train of thought with the Parable of the Banquet. The banquet has already been set before the invitations are set out. "Come, for all things are ready" (Luke 14:17). Jesus will take us just as we are, "ready" or not.

I am already a good person
If we compare ourselves to other people, then most of us are good people. But we are being measured against God, and he is perfect. So being a good person isn't enough. Romans 3:23, "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". The only way to achieve everlasting life is through the belief in Jesus; that he died for our sins. Only through Christ can we be made perfect.

I already go to Church, that is good enough
You may be going to church, but you probably aren't listening very closely. Titus 3:5, "he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of is mercy". Sitting in church once a week is not what Jesus meant when he asked his disciples to follow him. A church membership doesn't get us into heaven, we need to be born again (John 3:3).

Question3: Jesus asked his disciple, "Who do the people say I am?" and, "Who do you say that I am?". Find out what Icelanders are saying or thinking about Jesus.
Many Icelanders, and youth and young adults in particular, are saying that Jesus doesn't matter to them. All of the young adults I spoke to said that they didn't need Christ, and that Christianity was for an older time.
"He doesn't exist."
"Don't need him."
Despite the disbelief of most those who would answer my question. There was one response that made me happy. An older lady answer the question with the greatest response ever.
"He is just the best. He taught us how to love, and that is the best."h

Question 4: What is God doing in you this week?
I am really opening up to new experiences. God is working away at the fear of trying new things. For instance, question 3 required me to walk up to complete strangers and ask them a question that wasn't about directions. It was a personal question. I have no problem getting up in front of a crowd of people and speaking to them, but to go one-on-one with a stranger has always been quiet nerve-wracking.
Every Monday night, the DTS going to the United Reykjavík Church where we pray over people there during the altar call at the end of the service. We they asked us to go up front to pray over people, I just stayed in my chair and told myself I would do it next week. Well next week came and I prayed for courage, and the LORD moved in my and I got up and I prayed for someone. I am still a little apprehensive about it, but I just pray, and remind myself that it is not all about me, and that following Christ, and bring others to him, is not going to be comfortable.

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing and so inspirational! It gives me courage to share my faith and engage in meaningful conversations with people. Being a disciple is never comfortable, but it's the most rewarding. Praying for you and love ya lots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben I'm sharing this with the Discipleship team at Bcrc, we are meeting this week. Thank you for you post, for the info, for the inspiration. And way to "lean on God". You can't do it alone, but He doesn't ask you to. You have inspired many! Blessings dear Ben, we love you and are praying for you lots :) Heather, Darryl Seth and Scarlett oxo & Dextie

    ReplyDelete